CANADIAN CLINICAL TRIALS
Health Canada is closely tracking all potential therapeutic treatments and vaccines in development. The Department is working with vaccine developers, researchers, and manufacturers to help expedite the development and availability of medical products such as vaccines, antibodies, and drugs to prevent and treat COVID-19.
VACCINE INDUSTRY COLLABORATIONS
Vaccine industry leaders are working closely with all levels of government, the research community and public agencies to develop solutions to address our current and future Canadian vaccine supply needs. As an industry, we are committed to dedicating and sharing our scientific expertise, technical skills and manufacturing capabilities to address this unprecedented global health crisis. Learn more.
FOREIGN threats to Canada’s biopharmaceutical and healthcare sectors
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) has alerted the Canadian biotechnology industry regarding the potential for security threats which have been heightened during the COVID-19 crisis. Specifically, CSIS wants companies to be alert to potential foreign threat actors targeting Canada’s life sciences sector. While no specific threat has been identified, CSIS is of the view that the sector is more attractive and more vulnerable to threats at this juncture. CSIS has provided a chart which identifies what companies can look for to identify potential threats and includes contact information for reporting purposes.
Given the national composition of BIOTECanada’s membership, there was an opportunity to connect those who need with those who have. Recognizing this, BIOTECanada has established a sort of on-line dating service designed to match companies in need with those who have something to offer.
LISTEN / WATCH
The world sees Canadian biotechnology innovation delivering game-changing solutions during the COVID-19 crisis. Listen to Andrew Casey highlight the Canadian biotech ecosystem on a recent Market Hunt podcast.
Watch past recordings here from our series, entitled How to keep your business running: Corporate health Through COVID-19
ON THE HORIZON
Vital research for everything from better understanding how this virus spreads to developing vaccines and treatments. There are research teams around the world focused on developing and implementing measures to detect, manage and reduce the spread of COVID-19. Below are a few examples.
- Pfizer Establishes New Program to Support Continued Biotechnology Innovation (June 2, 2020)
- Microbix COVID-19 QAPs Now Available For U.S. Labs (May 7, 2020)
- Laurent Pharmaceuticals Receives Health Canada’s Approval to Initiate COVID-19 Clinical Trial (May 6, 2020)
- Collaborative project of more than $1.2 million using artificial intelligence to optimize the production of vaccines, announced by CQDM and Medicago R&D (May 5, 2020)
- AbCellera’s world-leading drug discovery technology identifies antibodies for potential use in drugs to treat and prevent COVID-19 (May 3, 2020)
- AstraZeneca and Oxford University announce landmark agreement for COVID-19 vaccine (April 30, 2020)
- NIH Clinical Trial Shows Remdesivir Accelerates Recovery from Advanced COVID-19 (April 29, 2020)
- Ottawa scientists turn attention to COVID-19 vaccine with help from ‘fast grant’ (April 29, 2020)
- Glycovax Pharma develops a vaccine against COVID-19 (April 21, 2020)
- Microbix Attains Health Canada Establishment Licensing (April 21, 2020)
- On the Cutting-Edge of the Fight Against the Pandemic – Variational AI Receives Support from the Digital Technology Supercluster for Repurposing of Drugs for COVID-19 (April 21, 2020)
- Mannin and Cyclica Enter JV to Rapidly Develop COVID-19 Drugs (April 21, 2020)
- Roche Canada Launches Data Science Coalition to Advance COVID-19 Solutions (April 16, 2020)
- Highlights from Amgen and Adaptive Biotechnologies Webinar on Research to Find New Antibody Treatment for COVID-19 (April 9, 2020)