BIotech ecosystem SERvice, Equipment & SuppLy Registry
The COVID-19 virus has had a remarkable impact on the industry. While some companies are trying to ramp up work beyond their usual capacity, others are idling activity until the world returns to some form of normalcy. As a result, some companies are strained to do the work they need to do (particularly those working on COVID-19 related projects) while others have valuable equipment, labs and expertise on hold. In this context, BIOTECanada is using its national reach as a platform to connect capacity, expertise, solutions and support by bringing together those who have with those who are looking. The link below will provide an evergreen list of availability and needs across the country. We encourage you to check on the link frequently and to let us know if your company is looking for or able to provide a specific product, service or expertise. Please contact Emily Meyers to add to the registry or for more information. Registry
FOREIGN threats to Canada’s biopharmaceutical and healthcare sectors
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) has alerted the Canadian biotechnology industry regarding the potential for security threats which have been heightened during the COVID-19 crisis. Specifically, CSIS wants companies to be alert to potential foreign threat actors targeting Canada’s life sciences sector. While no specific threat has been identified, CSIS is of the view that the sector is more attractive and more vulnerable to threats at this juncture. CSIS has provided a chart which identifies what companies can look for to identify potential threats and includes contact information for reporting purposes.
Canadian clinical trials
Health Canada is closely tracking all potential therapeutic treatments and vaccines in development. The Department is working with vaccine developers, researchers, and manufacturers to help expedite the development and availability of medical products such as vaccines, antibodies, and drugs to prevent and treat COVID-19.
vaccine industry collaborations
Vaccine industry leaders are working closely with all levels of government, the research community and public agencies to develop solutions to address our current and future Canadian vaccine supply needs. As an industry, we are committed to dedicating and sharing our scientific expertise, technical skills and manufacturing capabilities to address this unprecedented global health crisis. Learn more.
nrc irap innovation assistance program
Small and medium-sized Canadian businesses unable to secure funding under the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy and the Business Credit Availability Program can apply for financial assistance. Learn more.
on the horizon
Vital research for everything from better understanding how this virus spreads to developing vaccines and treatments. There are research teams around the world focused on developing and implementing measures to detect, manage and reduce the spread of COVID-19. Below are a few examples.
- Bold Therapeutics Secures Funding to Prepare BOLD-100 for COVID-19 Clinical Trials (January 6, 2021)
- Tetra Bio-Pharma Completes Major Milestone for COVID-19 Therapeutic (December 2, 2020)
- Tetra Bio-Pharma, Targeted Pharmaceutical & the George Mason University Partner on ARDS-003 to Prevent & Treat COVID-19 (October 22, 2020)
- A&C Make National Headlines in Ireland Due to its Contribution to Leading SARS-COV2 COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate (September 18, 2020)
- Laurent Pharmaceuticals Receives Approval from FDA to Initiate its COVID-19 Phase 2 Clinical Trial in the United States (August 27, 2020)
- Dalton Partners with VIDO-InterVac to Combat Covid-19 (July 28, 2020)
- Caprion-HistoGeneX is Offering Molecular COVID-19 Testing Services While Expanding It’s Biomarker Capabilities (June 22, 2020)
- Pfizer Establishes New Program to Support Continued Biotechnology Innovation (June 2, 2020)
- Microbix COVID-19 QAPs Now Available For U.S. Labs (May 7, 2020)
- Collaborative project of more than $1.2 million using artificial intelligence to optimize the production of vaccines, announced by CQDM and Medicago R&D (May 5, 2020)
- AbCellera’s world-leading drug discovery technology identifies antibodies for potential use in drugs to treat and prevent COVID-19 (May 3, 2020)
- AstraZeneca and Oxford University announce landmark agreement for COVID-19 vaccine (April 30, 2020)
- NIH Clinical Trial Shows Remdesivir Accelerates Recovery from Advanced COVID-19 (April 29, 2020)
- Ottawa scientists turn attention to COVID-19 vaccine with help from ‘fast grant’ (April 29, 2020)
- Microbix Attains Health Canada Establishment Licensing (April 21, 2020)
- On the Cutting-Edge of the Fight Against the Pandemic – Variational AI Receives Support from the Digital Technology Supercluster for Repurposing of Drugs for COVID-19 (April 21, 2020)
- Mannin and Cyclica Enter JV to Rapidly Develop COVID-19 Drugs (April 21, 2020)
- Roche Canada Launches Data Science Coalition to Advance COVID-19 Solutions (April 16, 2020)
- Spartan Bioscience Recieves Health Canada Approval for Fast, Portable COVID-19 Test (April 13, 2020)
- Highlights from Amgen and Adaptive Biotechnologies Webinar on Research to Find New Antibody Treatment for COVID-19 (April 9, 2020)
- Laurent Pharmaceuticals Joins Battle Against COVID-19 (April 9, 2020)
- STEMCELL Technologies collaboration: Trial Drug Can Block Early Stages of COVID-19 in Engineered Human Tissues (April 2, 2020)
- Pattern Pharma interacts with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority with respect to Pattern’s P2PAR antiviral in large COVID-19 initiative (March 2020)
- VBI Vaccines Announces Collaboration with the National Research Council of Canada to Develop Pan-Coronavirus Vaccine Candidate Targeting COVID-19, SARS, and MERS (March 31, 2020)
- Johnson & Johnson Announces a Lead Vaccine Candidate for COVID-19 (March 30, 2020)
- Resverlogix Clinical Candidate Apabetalone Featured as a potential COVID-19 Treatment (March 24, 2020)
- Coronavirus: Winnipeg biotech company says COVID-19 treatment nearing production (March 23, 2020)
- Entos Pharmaceuticals is Developing A DNA Vaccine Against COVID-19 Using Its Fusogenix Nanomedicine Platform (March 18, 2020)
- Spartan Bioscience Investigating Ways to use their rapid, on-site DNA testing technology to help with the COVID-19 Outbreak (March 20, 2020)
- Interim Clinical Guidance For Patients Suspected of / Confirmed with COVID-19 in Belgium (March 16, 2020)
- Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand (March 16, 2020)
- High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID-19 (March 9, 2020)
|Life Sciences British Columbia||BioAlberta||Ag West Bio||Biosciences Association Manitoba|
|Life Sciences Ontario||Bio Quebec||BioNB||BioNova|
There is an overwhelming amount of information globally available regarding COVID-19. Below you will find a collection of resources we hope you find timely and accurate.
|Fierce Biotech||BioWorld||Vaccine development and manufacturing in Canada|
During this unprecedented time BIOTECanada is sharing with you some insight from its service provider members who are working with clients to navigate the business realities of the current COVID-19 situation, and the new environment which will emerge.
|Employer strategies for managing novel coronavirus risks in the workplace (BLG)|
|COVID-19 Legal Perspectives: Workplace issues (webinar) (BLG)|
|Details on Blanket Relief for Market Participants Due to COVID-19 (Gowling WLG)|
|COVID-19 and Your Business (webinar) (Gowling WLG)|
|Orchestrating the recovery of organizations and supply chains (Deloitte)|
|Managing cash flow during a period of crisis (Deloitte)|
|10 tips to manage environmental risk during uncertain times (Norton Rose Fulbright)|
|Unprecedented layoffs during a global pandemic (Norton Rose Fulbright)|
|COVID-19 Toolkit for private life science companies (WSGR)|
|COVID-19 Update: Guidance and Practical Considerations for Virtual Annual Meetings (WSGR)|
|Proactive Planning during a Global Pandemic (Global Public Affairs)|
|Best practices in communications during COVID-19 (Global Public Affairs)|
|Canadian Immigration Law Update (Farris LLP)|
|Bill C-13 Amendments to Patent Act and Food and Drugs Act (Pangaea)|
Government Support for Business
Interactive Business Benefits Finder brings together all of the latest COVID supports for businesses, as well as hundreds of other programs and services offered by federal, provincial and territorial governments.
federal action plan to mobilize industry
The Plan introduces new measures to directly support the health care system since the beginning of the outbreak. It focuses on domestic capacity building, innovative solutions, and procurement of essential supplies.
- Government procurement and manufacturing plan. Learn more here.
- NRC COVID-19 challenge and IRAP program. Learn more and apply here.
FederaL action plan to mobilize science
The Prime Minister announced support to quickly mobilize Canadian researchers and life sciences companies to support large-scale efforts towards countermeasures to combat COVID-19, including potential vaccines and treatments. The funding will be used to advance projects that are already underway by university researchers and others to respond to COVID-19, and ensure domestic supply of potential vaccines. Read more here.
COVID-19 health product Industry
Information for health product manufacturers and distributors in relation to COVID-19. Learn more.