Access to capital remains the number one priority for emerging biotechnology firms. BIOTECanada works to increase access to financing by encouraging regulatory and legislative changes that create incentives for investors to put their money into this innovative sector.
- It takes 10-15 years, and approximately 1.5 billion dollars to commercialize a biotechnology product.
- 80% of Canadian biotechnology companies are privately owned.
- The majority of the sector is made up of SMEs: 50% of biotechnology companies have less than 20 employees, and 80 per cent have less than 100 employees.
- The biotechnology sector is typically more sensitive to market movements than other sectors.
- The top 25 publicly-traded biotechs in Canada have outpaced the TSX/S&P index since the global economic downturn begun.