Leadership in global health
Vaccine Industry Committee members are the leading vaccine manufacturers serving the Canadian market and early stage Canadian companies developing advanced vaccine technologies. The committee works to ensure a secure supply of vaccines for Canada, advocates for equitable access to vaccines for all Canadians, and promotes the value of immunization as one of the most cost-effective health interventions available.
BIOTECanada’s Vaccine Industry Committee works to ensure a secure supply of vaccines for Canada, advocates for equitable access to vaccines for all Canadians, and promotes the value of immunization as one of the most cost-effective health interventions available.
The committee supports the WHO’s position of vaccines hesitancy being one of the top public health threats.
Vaccine hesitancy – the reluctance or refusal to vaccinate despite the availability of vaccines – threatens to reverse progress made in tackling vaccine-preventable diseases.
Vaccination is one of the most cost-effective ways of avoiding disease – it currently prevents 2-3 million deaths a year worldwide. (Reference)
We commit to working with our partner members on ensuring that Canadians have access to balanced information about the broad public health benefits of vaccination.
Primary public policy activities include:
- Promoting the value of vaccines and importance of our industry
- Ensuring adequate and timely funding mechanisms for new vaccines
- Improving Canada’s procurement and safety of supply policies to ensure availability of vaccines
- Implementation of the National Immunization Strategy
- Ensuring Canada has an internationally competitive system for vaccine licensing
- Improving the transparency and recommendation timelines of national advisory committees
- Obtaining a satisfactory bar coding system with acceptable timelines
For more information about BIOTECanada’s Vaccine Industry Committee, contact Ron Boch.