Membership in BIOTECanada is available only to companies/organizations that:
Are committed to the socially responsible use of biotechnology as a means to improving quality of life, to prevent, diagnose, treat and cure diseases, to improve the quality and quantity of food and feedstuffs and to move towards a bio-based and zero-waste economy.
Engage in, invest in or support innovative research dedicated to the development and commercialization of:
- Patented biologic-based medicines, therapies, products or processes; and,
- Patented environmental, agricultural and industrial biotechnology in Canada.
Conduct research and development of health/agricultural products requiring Canadian regulatory approval/oversight from CFIA and/or Health Canada for market authorization.
Recognize intellectual property as the primary strategic asset of biotechnology innovation. Accordingly, support the ability of innovators to protect and defend their intellectual property.
Other member entities must be committed to supporting the growth and development of the Canadian biotechnology industry ecosystem in one or more of the following capacities:
- Investor (investment bank, venture capital, family trust)
- Educator (university, post-secondary institution)
- Advisor (legal, regulatory, policy)
- Discovery and research
Members’ public policy positions and business practices must:
Be consistent with BIOTECanada’s reputation and its policies, principles and constructive approach to support innovation and commercialization.
Support BIOTECanada’s primary objectives of:
- Positively shaping the industry-policymaker relationship;
- Establishing one or more Canadian based globally commercial biotechnology companies
BIOTECanada reserves the right to review applications for membership to confirm that the applicant meets these criteria for membership. BIOTECanada also reserves the right to reject a membership application or not to renew a membership.
Membership is from January to December. Membership dues are pro-rated depending on the month when membership commences.