An industry association’s effectiveness is highly dependent on the active participation of its member companies and their representatives. There are times where the contributions of some member companies or individuals greatly exceed expectations. In this context, the Gold Leaf Award for Association Contribution was established to recognize an individual who has demonstrated significant initiative and commitment in support of the whole industry through his or her work as a representative of BIOTECanada or through BIOTECanada’s ongoing policy and advocacy work on behalf of the industry.
Past Award Recipients
- 2019 – Frédéric Lavoie (Pfizer), Geoff Sprang (Amgen), and Laurene Redding (AstraZeneca)
- 2016 – Ron Keefe, BioVectra
- 2015 – Rob Van Exan, Sanofi Pasteur
- 2013 – Dr. Cathy Lau, Janssen Pharmaceutical Inc.
- 2012 – John Dorsey, Novartis
- 2011 – Gordon Jans, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- 2010 – Dr. Karen Burke (AMGEN) & Mr. James Willoughby (Hoffman-LaRoche)
- 2009 – Dr. Lesia Babiak, Janssen-Ortho Inc.
- 2008 – Deborah Brown, EMD Serono
- 2007 – Bob Ingratta, Vice President of Regulatory & International Affairs, Monsanto Canada and Chair, BIOTECanada Agriculture & Nutrition Advisory Board
- 2007 – Christian Blouin, Director, Vaccine Division, Merck Frosst Canada and Chair, BIOTECanada Vaccine Industry Committee
- 2006 – Dr. Luis Barreto, Vice-President of Public Policy, Sanofi Pasteur
- 2005 – John Mendlein, President & CEO, Affinium Pharmaceuticals (former)
- 2004 – Paul Hastings, President and CEO, QLT Inc.
- 2003 – Brian Kerslake, Senior Marketing Manager, VWR International
- 2002 – Claude-André Lachance, Director of Public Policy, Dow Chemicals Canada and Myka Osinchuck, (former) Executive Director, BioAlberta
- 2001 – Art Stirling, Government & Industry Relations Manager, Pioneer Hi-Bred Limited** Award for Contribution to the Industry – combined with Contribution to Advancing the Benefits of Biotech for Canadians in 2002.